The GC-Series Vibratory Soil Compactors deliver dependable, economical production with performance that exceeds expectations.
The Cat CS12 GC features a smooth drum and is ideally suited for granular soil applications with the use of an optional padfoot shell kit for cohesive soil applications.
FEATURES AT A GLANCE
COMFORTABLE AND ERGONOMIC OPERATOR STATION
- The steering console features an LCD display. The display provides diagnostics and additional data to the operator. Machines that are equipped with Cat Compaction Control output compaction measurements to the display as well.
- A multi-position steering wheel adjusts for comfort. An adjustable vinyl seat with seat belt is comfortable and keeps controls and operating information within easy reach. The 12-volt adapter provides power for personal electronic devices. A floor mat reduces vibrations. Cup holders are provided on the steering column. Large mirrors provide excellent views to the rear of the machine.
- The operator is provided with excellent visibility to the front, drum edges rear tire edges and rear of machine enhancing safety and production. Optional mirrors provide enhanced visibility to the rear.
- The GC-Series Vibratory Soil Compactors feature a Cat engine that offers enhanced efficiency, better serviceability, ample power, and less noise.
TECHNOLOGIES THAT ENHANCE QUALITY AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Cat Compaction Control can be augmented by adding an optional Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) mapping antenna and a dedicated display unit, which provides SBAS-level accuracy and allows the operator to visually monitor results, map them to locations and save the data for analysis or documentation purposes. An RTK GNSS mapping capability is also available that provides greater accuracy than SBAS.
- Two different compaction measurement technologies are available: Compaction Meter Value (CMV) or Machine Drive Power (MDP). Both technologies display real time measurements on the LCD display.
- Compaction Meter Value (CMV) is an accelerometer-based measurement system for granular soils. It is for use with smooth drum configurations. Functioning while the drum vibrates, it measures deep into the ground, 1.0 to 1.2 m (3-4 ft), providing the operator with a picture of what is beneath the surface. CMV can reveal many things to a trained operator, such as the location of hidden anomalies (buried objects, rocks, clay balls, etc.) or areas of poor compaction. It can even indicate the need for more moisture to aid compaction.
- Machine Drive Power (MDP) is an exclusive technology only available from Caterpillar. MDP indicates soil stiffness by measuring rolling resistance. It can be used by both smooth drums and smooth drum machines equipped with padfoot shell kits. It is effective on all soil types, and can function when the drum is static or vibrating. MDP measures closer to depth of the lifts of materials being compacted, around 30-60 cm (1-2 ft) deep. MDP is more flexible than CMV because it can be used on all soil types, and because it measures more shallow than CMV, which allows results to be correlated with portable measuring equipment such as lightweight falling deflectometers and nuclear gauges. Because it does not require the drum to vibrate, there is less risk of de-compaction when used for proofrolling.
EASY TO SERVICE
- Design provides ground level access to all service and maintenance points.
- Long service intervals contribute to more productivity and lower owning and operating costs. The vibratory system scheduled oil change interval is 3 years/3,000 hours. The hydraulic oil service interval is 3,000 hours. Engine oil service is every 500 hours.
RELIABLE VIBRATORY SYSTEM
- The GC-Series vibratory soil compactors deliver excellent compaction performance due to high amplitude and static linear load.
- The GC-Series utilizes the proven Cat pod-style vibratory system. The system design significantly reduces the risk of contamination common to conventional designs that employ metal weights. Providing unrivaled reliability and performance, the Cat pod-style vibratory system is virtually maintenance free, with the first scheduled maintenance period at 3 years or 3,000 hours.
- An automatic vibration function provides consistency for more uniform compaction. When vibration is engaged, vibration will cease as the compactor slows beneath a predetermined speed. When propel resumes, vibration recommences at a predetermined speed. This feature contributes to uniform, high-quality work.
- Smooth drums are ideal for compacting granular materials and can be equipped with an optional padfoot shell kit for compacting cohesive and semi-cohesive materials.